Search for a story:
Sport - Date: 14 July 2017
Written by: Frank Mavhungu / Viewed: 441
The elective congress of the Thulamela Local Football Association (Thulfa) that was held at the Makwarela Town Hall last Saturday was a failure.
The meeting started well without any indication that there would be disruptions along the way. The situation took an ugly turn shortly after the league administrator, Mr Moses Maluleke, addressed the meeting.
A concerned group of people raised their dissatisfaction regarding the exclusion of Mr Aifheli Tshisikule from the nomination list. Maluleke indicated that Tshisikule was not eligible to stand for the elections on the basis that he was still serving his three-season suspension.
Tshisikule was found guilty of misconduct by the disciplinary committee of Safa Vhembe and suspended for three consecutive soccer seasons, from 2015/16 to 2017/18. Maluleke further stated that Tshisikule had exercised his right to appeal against the committee’s decision and that the appeal had been dismissed.
He also said that Tshisikule had followed the legal route and taken the league to court. The case was dismissed with costs in the Thohoyandou High Court.
The concerned group argued that Tshisikule was eligible to stand for the election, saying that his suspension was not in line with the league’s rules and regulations. They insisted that Tshisikule’s name be included on the nomination list and ballot papers before the elections could be held or else the election process had to stop.
Realizing that the situation was getting out of hand, Maluleke said that the environment was no longer conducive to holding a free and fair election. He stated that he would take the matter up with the Safa Vhembe Regional Association in order for them to advise on the way forward, since they were the ones dealing with Tshisikule’s case.
The other people who were found guilty of misconduct by the Safa Vhembe disciplinary committee, together with Mr Tshisikule, are: Messrs Elvis Booi, Funanani Nethononda and Aubrey Ramukumba. Booi was banned from taking part in any football-related activities for a period of three years, while Ramukumba was issued a warning letter.
Ms Nethononda was banned from taking part in any football-related activities for life. Nethononda took the association to the CCMA, where a settlement was reached between the two parties.
The man at the centre of the whole controversy, Mr Aifheli Tshisikule.
Frank is a Human Resources Manager at the Department of Public Works in Limpopo. He is the longest serving correspondent of the Mirror, having joined us at the end of 1990. He mainly writes sports reports and resides at Tsianda Village. In 2004, Frank won the National Castle League Award, an award for the best reporter in the SAB league in South Africa.